April 9 2010

Next Call: April 9

Dial-In Number 866 299 3188 Conference Code 913 551 7554 #

Attending

Jean Waters: NBDC

Stacy Hawkey: University of Nebraska Lincoln, Biological Systems Engineering

Marcus Rivas: EPA Region 7

Rick Yoder: P2RIC

Marie Steinwachs: University of Missouri

Ryan Hamel: KSU PPI

Jeff Fiagle: Iowa Department of Natural Resources

David Carter: Pollution Prevention Institute

I. Brief Notes

a. Source reduction process

i. Approx 130,000 Dollars available

ii. 3 packages from

1. Drury, IDNR, K-State

iii. Collectively saving 10,000 Pounds of water

1. 1,000 Grams of mercury

2. 1.3 million dollars worth of savings

3. 5.2 million kilowatt hours

4. 5.7 tons of solid waste

b. P2 Side

i. Doing numbers on calculations

1. But about 570,000 Dollars competing for 395,000 Dollars

2. Will fund at least 395,000 on P2

ii. Going to panels around beginning of next week

iii. Then four to six weeks to get scoring done

c. Any immediate feedback from Greenhouse Gas calculator

i. If you haven’t made the request or heard back please email Marcus

ii. Headquarters is soliciting comments on how it went

iii. Stacy:

1. How are we going to approach it?

iv. Jeff

1. It might be better to go through an example of things we use in our programs and show a really practical example.

II. Spring Round Table Planning

a. Set for 15th and 16th of June

b. Changes posted to Roundtable site and sent in Email

c. Jean sent out additional changes

d. Karl might speak on: Environmental strategy in region seven, also might address possibility of Region 7 P2 Awards

e. Committee set up to flush out the 9:15 water session.

i. Further flushing out through the role of P2 in various water programs

f. Energy star

i. Have a speaker provide list of tools to gage interest

g. TSCA

i. Look at what is new and how can P2 be integrated

h. New Tools and strategies

i. Not a lot suggested

ii. Have people show their programs and how they use them

i. Strategic planning session

i. Maybe use this session to plan celebration of 20 anniversary of P2 Act

ii. Discuss regional priority

j. Is this what people want to see

i. David help with calculator discussion

ii. Marie likes where it is going strategically

1. Going with what we discussed last fall with the State, and Local programs

2. Moving towards strategically and this agenda helps with this

iii. Depending on EPA’s roll out for the 20th Anniversary do we want State report outs to when Dr. Brooks is speaking

1. Marcus: Yes, but we need to get him involved early

2. Possibly having interns who have done successful programs, as well as companies in our region coming as well to give success stories- Discuss this at the Spring meeting to use in the Fall

3. Jeff: We have to keep in mind cost, and time factor

4. Marcus might be able to break free some funds for speaker travel

a. If we’re going to do this event we need to make sure we do it at the right time.

b. Tight money fiscal year so most funding is directed into the grants

5. Jean: What if we use the Kansas City interns to lay the ground work and see if he want something bigger later

iv. Jeff: Is this going to be a National event?

1. Marcus: Yes they’re discussing it in New York, as well as looking at revising parts.

v. Do we want Karl Brooks there for report outs?

1. Yes for at least some span of time

a. Marie: It could give a good focus to our report outs

vi. Do we need to postpone something so we can give everything time

1. What about demonstrating Energy Star tools in the tools section and consolidating it.

2. Or move tool demonstrations to a webinar setting

vii. Do we want interns in June or just when we do P2 Celebration?

1. Rick, Marie in the celebration

viii. Committee for getting Dr. Brooks to attend

1. Marie, Marcus, Jeff

ix. Is anyone in particular facilitating Intern program networking lunch

1. Marie will research lunch places

a. Marcus has two ideas

2. David or Ryan: is this something Nancy would want to come up with an agenda for? Or one of you

3. Rick suggests having it take the “bar camp” approach where they just come in with no agenda

x. Does Jim Collier want to talk?

1. Hard to name personnel, more about naming topic.

2. Marie: Reason behind Jim is because of how helpful he was last year

3. Is fifteen minutes enough?

xi. First day: Move water

xii. Second day Ryan will talk to program

xiii. Does anyone know someone in TSCA Program

III. Strategic planning session

a. Committee

i. Jean

ii. Marcus suggest finding an external facilitator

iii. Marie

iv. Jeff?

b. Jeff has enough for an agenda set something up for the week of April 26th

i. Afternoon of the 19th at 2:30 PM

Following is the proposed agenda for the Spring 2010 Round Table

Day One

8:30 am

Strategic Planning Update

8:45 am

Marie, Marcus, Jeff

The Role of Pollution Prevention in Region 7 or Environmental strategy for Region 7 and how P2 contributes or leads the effort; Will the R7 P2 Awards be back? Twenty year anniversary of P2 Act

· Dr. Karl Brooks, EPA Regional Administrator

9: 15

Including 15 minute break

10 minutes per program

State Report-outs

· P2 Services

· Iowa Waste Reduction Center

· Iowa DED

· Kansas Department of Health and Environment

· Kansas State University P2 Institute

· University of Missouri-Columbia Environmental Assistance Center

· Ozarks Center for Sustainable Solutions, Drury University

· Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality

· P3 Program Update

· P2RIC

· National Pollution Prevention Roundtable

· Environmental Summit Update

12:00 pm

?

Lunch/Intern Program Networking (including Intern Workgroup Update)

(Marcus to provide lunch locations)

2:15 pm

Jeff, Marie will draft request to Marcus

EPA P2 program Update

  • EPA Speaker(s)

(Jim Callier; Marcus Rivas?)

3:00 pm

Including 15 minute break

David? and ?

Demonstration of EPA’s CO2 Calculator & other Greenhouse Calculators (including Carnegie Mellon Calculator and others), & Energy Star Calculators that Region 7 States use.

· Various Speakers

(Gather list of tools and get feedback from attendees about what they want to see demonstrated)

5:00 pm

End Day One

Day Two

8:00 am

Marie, Rick, Jeff, David

Water Environmental priorities (quantity, quality?) and the role of P2 in water programs

  • Various Speakers

10:30 am

Ryan

Resource Conservation Challenge: New Tools and Opportunities – Highlights of RCC promoting prevention (reduced packaging, life-cycle for building materials, energy to heat and cool the building far outweighs energy savings from reused materials, bottled water much more resource intensive that tap water and reusable containers); Is this strategy being pursued throughout RCC or only in Oregon?

· EPA Speaker

11:15 am

Marie & Jean Waters. Will draft and send request to Jeff & Marcus.

Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA): New Changes – what is new and how is or can P2 be integrated?

· EPA Speaker (is there a way P2 programs can meet the need for chemical substitution – Patrick Bustos ?)

Noon

Lunch

1:00 pm

Jean, Marie, Jeff, Marcus

Strategic Planning Session

· 20th Anniversary of the P2 Act – what will we do to celebrate? and/or Regional Priorities and/or other topics

(EPA – External facilitator?)

3:00 pm

End Day Two

Attending

Jean Waters: NBDC

Stacy Hawkey: University of Nebraska Lincoln, Biological Systems Engineering

Marcus Rivas: EPA Region 7

Rick Yoder: P2RIC

Marie Steinwachs: University of Missouri

Ryan Hamel: KSU PPI

Jeff Fiagle: Iowa Department of Natural Resources

David Carter: Pollution Prevention Institute

I. Brief Notes

a. Source reduction process

i. Approx 130,000 Dollars available

ii. 3 packages from

1. Drury, IDNR, K-State

iii. Collectively saving 10,000 Pounds of water

1. 1,000 Grams of mercury

2. 1.3 million dollars worth of savings

3. 5.2 million kilowatt hours

4. 5.7 tons of solid waste

b. P2 Side

i. Doing numbers on calculations

1. But about 570,000 Dollars competing for 395,000 Dollars

2. Will fund at least 395,000 on P2

ii. Going to panels around beginning of next week

iii. Then four to six weeks to get scoring done

c. Any immediate feedback from Greenhouse Gas calculator

i. If you haven’t made the request or heard back please email Marcus

ii. Headquarters is soliciting comments on how it went

iii. Stacy:

1. How are we going to approach it?

iv. Jeff

1. It might be better to go through an example of things we use in our programs and show a really practical example.

II. Spring Round Table Planning

a. Set for 15th and 16th of June

b. Changes posted to Roundtable site and sent in Email

c. Jean sent out additional changes

d. Karl might speak on: Environmental strategy in region seven, also might address possibility of Region 7 P2 Awards

e. Committee set up to flush out the 9:15 water session.

i. Further flushing out through the role of P2 in various water programs

f. Energy star

i. Have a speaker provide list of tools to gage interest

g. TSCA

i. Look at what is new and how can P2 be integrated

h. New Tools and strategies

i. Not a lot suggested

ii. Have people show their programs and how they use them

i. Strategic planning session

i. Maybe use this session to plan celebration of 20 anniversary of P2 Act

ii. Discuss regional priority

j. Is this what people want to see

i. David help with calculator discussion

ii. Marie likes where it is going strategically

1. Going with what we discussed last fall with the State, and Local programs

2. Moving towards strategically and this agenda helps with this

iii. Depending on EPA’s roll out for the 20th Anniversary do we want State report outs to when Dr. Brooks is speaking

1. Marcus: Yes, but we need to get him involved early

2. Possibly having interns who have done successful programs, as well as companies in our region coming as well to give success stories- Discuss this at the Spring meeting to use in the Fall

3. Jeff: We have to keep in mind cost, and time factor

4. Marcus might be able to break free some funds for speaker travel

a. If we’re going to do this event we need to make sure we do it at the right time.

b. Tight money fiscal year so most funding is directed into the grants

5. Jean: What if we use the Kansas City interns to lay the ground work and see if he want something bigger later

iv. Jeff: Is this going to be a National event?

1. Marcus: Yes they’re discussing it in New York, as well as looking at revising parts.

v. Do we want Karl Brooks there for report outs?

1. Yes for at least some span of time

a. Marie: It could give a good focus to our report outs

vi. Do we need to postpone something so we can give everything time

1. What about demonstrating Energy Star tools in the tools section and consolidating it.

2. Or move tool demonstrations to a webinar setting

vii. Do we want interns in June or just when we do P2 Celebration?

1. Rick, Marie in the celebration

viii. Committee for getting Dr. Brooks to attend

1. Marie, Marcus, Jeff

ix. Is anyone in particular facilitating Intern program networking lunch

1. Marie will research lunch places

a. Marcus has two ideas

2. David or Ryan: is this something Nancy would want to come up with an agenda for? Or one of you

3. Rick suggests having it take the “bar camp” approach where they just come in with no agenda

x. Does Jim Collier want to talk?

1. Hard to name personnel, more about naming topic.

2. Marie: Reason behind Jim is because of how helpful he was last year

3. Is fifteen minutes enough?

xi. First day: Move water

xii. Second day Ryan will talk to program

xiii. Does anyone know someone in TSCA Program

III. Strategic planning session

a. Committee

i. Jean

ii. Marcus suggest finding an external facilitator

iii. Marie

iv. Jeff?

b. Jeff has enough for an agenda set something up for the week of April 26th

i. Afternoon of the 19th at 2:30 PM